As should be expected, once the shutdown ended last week and I went back to work, the frequency of blog entries rapidly declined. I’ll work on staying in the groove of WIP Wednesdays and FO Fridays, at least. Well, WIP Wednesdays, for certain, because I can’t guarantee I’ll have a finished project every Friday, but I can always guarantee I’ll have at least one thing in some stage of imcompleteness. (Yes, I know that’s not a word; I’m using it anyway.)
This week’s work in progress is a sock, and it will probably be the WIP for the next several weeks. Because: sock. Where there is one sock, there shall be two.
The yarn screams “autumn”, doesn’t it? Which is why I wound it into a cake a couple of weeks ago in that late-night fit of madness.
Because of the handpainted colorway, I didn’t want a fussy sock, especially because these are for my husband, and heaven forbid there be any girly-like ornamentation such as cables or bobbles or (the horror!) lace. I originally planned on turning this yarn into the Herringbone Rib Socks. Sunday, I cast on and knitted the ribbed cuff, then started the herringbone pattern. And it was a royal pain to knit. So much so that after two rows of herringbone, I ripped it all out and started over with Ann Budd’s basic sock pattern in a simple k3p1 rib.
And it looks pretty darn good, I think. Not that you can actually see the rib in this photo, but that’s the beauty of the k3p1 rib: it’s virtually invisible. Spouse even approves of the non-girlyness of the whole thing. I seldom knit anything for him, mainly because he doesn’t want me to: he doesn’t wear sweaters or scarves or hats or gloves, but by golly, everybody wears socks, so I consider obtaining his consent to make these for him a victory.