While I was off work in January recovering from surgery, I went on a bit of a sock binge. Results below.
First up, the Temperance socks (Ravelry project page).
Pattern: Temperance by Liz Abinante
Yarn: Footprints by Blue Ridge Yarn, colorway Secret Garden. Per Webs, this yarn’s total weight for the full put-up is 108 grams. That means it’s 81 grams for the 300 yard skein and 27 grams for the 100 yard skein. When I was finished, I had 18 grams and 8 grams left, respectively.
Total yardage used: 304 yds.
Needles: US size 2 DPNS. Pattern calls for using US size 1 1/2 needles. I need size 2 to achieve gauge.
New techniques? Yes! First toe up socks, first short row heel, first time using different colors for different parts of the sock. I discovered I don’t like toe up socks. The cast on and first couple of rows are really REALLY fiddly and annoying. That was with DPNs. I may try again using two circs. Maybe.
Satisfaction with end product: Pleased! They fit pretty well, and I’ve worn them several times since completing them. In fact, I’m wearing them as I type this blog entry. The yarn is soft and warm and comfy, especially after having been washed a couple of times. The socks come through the washer and dryer just fine; I wash them inside a mesh bag so they’re protected from rubbing against other clothing, and I use the gentle/delicate cold water wash cycle and a low heat dry cycle.
Next, Hummingbird Spring (Ravelry project page).
Pattern: Hummingbird by Sandi Rosner
Yarn: Stardust by Magic & Moonshine, colorway “Crocus”. I love this yarn. It’s soft on the hands, comfy on the feet, and has a hint of sparkle when the light catches it just right.
Total yardage used: Roughly 293 yards
Needles: US size 1 1/2 DPNs
New techniques? Short heel sock #2. Progress, not perfection.
Satisfaction with end product: Good enough, even with the following hiccup. According to the pattern blurb in the book (The Knitter’s Book of Socks), this pattern was written specifically for a “highly-variegated colorway”. They must not have meant THIS highly-variegated because the lace pattern is virtually invisible. Still, it’s a nicely written pattern, and fun to make. I may try it again in yarn with less contrast in color values. The completed socks are machine washable (on gentle, in a mesh bag, as explained above) for ease of care.
Finally, Dragonfly and Rosebud (Ravelry project page).
Pattern: Veil of Rosebuds by Anne Hanson
Yarn: Skinny Bugga! by Cephalopod Yarns, colorway “Dragonfly Tattoo”. This yarn is amazing. It’s too bad Cephalopod Yarns closed up shop and took down its shingle.
Total yardage used: 274 yds.
Needles: US Size 1 DPNs
Mods: Medium size called for casting on 56 stitches at the cuff. That’s too small for me, so I cast on 64, knit the ribbed cuff, and then decreased by 8 stitches in the first row of the lace.
New techniques? Still working on perfecting that short row heel. This technique has entailed a bit of a learning curve but I’m getting better.
Satisfaction with end product: I love how these turned out! Excellent match of yarn and pattern. The lace pattern is gorgeous and highly visible in this colorway. The only issue has to do with the short row heel. I need to remember to knit the foot a teensy bit longer than I do with a flap-and-gusset heel to make sure the heel turn fits on my actual heel instead of getting pulled under.
Somewhere in the middle of all the sock knitting, I made three PussyHats. Two were dropped off at a collection point for the January 21st march that took place in Atlanta and worldwide, and one I kept for myself for future marches. You can visit my Ravelry project page here. Bet you can guess my politics now!
I finished the Cadence Shawlette (Ravelry project page) a couple of weeks before surgery in December.
Pattern: Cadence Shawlette by Emily Straw; 5 full repeats and 1 partial repeat (up to row 21) before the garter stitch edging and the bind off.
Total yardage: 288 yds, plus a little extra (see notes below)
Needles: US 9 circs
Satisfaction with end product: Love it. It’s warm and cozy and colorful, just right to brighten up drab winter days.
Notes: I wanted to use every inch of the Brisbane, so I essentially played yarn chicken and kept knitting until I thought I had just enough for the bind off. As it turned out, I got 3/4 of the way through the bind off before I ran out of yarn. Luckily, I had remnants of another worsted wool (Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Worsted) in a colorway similar to the color section of Brisbane at the bound edge, so I was able to finish the bind off instead of tinking back 200+ stitches.
I’m knitting my library. Well, mostly. Maybe you can join us!