Some time ago, I pulled all the sock yarn out of stash and sorted it into two piles.
Into pile number one went the sock yarn that is suitable to be used for actual socks: it has nylon or some other such fiber content that makes it suitable to take the abuse on being worn on feet, walked upon, and rubbed against the inside of shoes.
Pile number two contained all the sock yarn that will not be used for socks. Now, this could be yarn that is 100% wool with no other strengthening fibers; or it could be a single ply with no twist that can’t take the abuse; or maybe the yardage is far too excessive for socks and must be made into some other accessory; or it could be yarn that’s just too dang pretty to be hidden inside shoes. The yarn sorted into this pile is destined for scarves, or shawls, or in a few cases where the yardage will allow, perhaps even a lacy shrug or cropped cardigan.
Progress notes: I made a pair of socks from one of the skeins in Pile #1 already (Dragonfly and Rosebud, blogged here); tried a second skein but, after struggling with it and its splitty nature, relegated it to Pile #2; and am currently knitting socks with a third skein.
True confession: Since these photos were taken, I’ve added more sock yarn to the stash. They were pretty evenly divided. Four of the new skeins went into Pile #1; five into Pile #2.