2019 wasn’t a terrifically productive year for finished projects, probably due to the fact I did four plays. But I did get some things made.
First thing finished was the Lochlan Cardigan in February, briefly blogged here. I wear this cardigan a lot. It’s really warm; I often throw a sleeveless vest over it, and away we go on weekend errands. No heavy coat needed unless the wind is really sharp. This was my first project with zipper installation, and it was easier than I expected. Fear of zippers will no longer restrain me! It’s also the first time I doubled a fingering weight yarn instead of using a DK as the pattern requires. My gauge was a little off, but math fixed that, and the fit turned out great.
After getting home from Stitches United in June, also briefly blogged in the link above, I made a swimsuit coverup from a pattern I’d had in my queue forever. The blog entry for this project is here. As I suspected it would, the coverup shrank in the wash, and now fits much better through the neck and shoulders. When I wash it, I tumble it until it’s damp-dry and then lay it flat and block out the length.
I took the coverup to California with me in August, completely forgetting how cold Northern California beaches are. I wore it with my swimsuit, shorts, and a denim jacket against the chilly shore breeze. Although we didn’t get a picture of me wearing it, the coverup actually got used in the way it was intended when the spouse and I went to Sandestin (Florida) for Labor Day.
The Cabled Yoke Cardigan, finished in July, was part of a Vogue Knit #19 in 2019 Challenge. The Vogue Knitters group on Ravelry does this challenge every year: knit the corresponding pattern number for the last two digits of the year out of any Vogue Knitting magazine. The blog entry for this project is here. I was still mildly unhappy with the size after wearing the cardigan several times. So the other day I ran it through the washing machine in a mesh bag on the handwash cycle, and then laid it out flat to dry. The sweater did exactly what I thought it would do: felted just the teensiest bit, just enough to make it fit better and not be so loose and long. Yes, I was gambling. Yes, I got lucky. Don’t try this at home, kiddies. Now I need to re-sew the buttons.
My mother’s pullover was the final project for the year. We picked out this yarn last Thanksgiving, and I gave her the finished sweater this Thanksgiving. I haven’t blogged about it yet, so here are the details.
Pattern: Delsea Pullover by Lisa Shroyer (click here for link to project page)
Yarn: Universal Yarn Deluxe Worsted Tweed Superwash, colorway 917 Steel Cut Oats, 1143 yards
Needles: Addi Turbo Circulars, US size7
Mods: None, except for giving the bottom ribbing the same number of rows as the ribbing on the sleeves.
Satisfaction with end product: My mother loves it. She plans on wearing it over long-sleeved tees and turtlenecks to keep her toasty warm throughout the winter.
This pattern is easy television knitting, and I would have finished it much sooner had I not gotten bored with the endless endless stockinette and taken time out to make the swimsuit coverup and cabled cardigan mentioned above. No matter: I always intended to give it to Mom around Thanksgiving and that deadline was met.
In the acquisitions department, 2019 was a year of extreme stash enhancement. I’ve blogged about a lot of the new pretties, but not all of them, and I’m not going to take the time now to chronicle everything I skipped writing about. Suffice to say, between January 2019 and December 2019, I added 86 new skeins, and a total of 23,468 yards, to stash. A few (a very few) of those skeins were gifts or prizes, but most of it was purchased. I know I’m lucky and privileged that I can afford to buy yarn of such quality and in such quantities. Believe me, I’m grateful. And I refuse to feel guilty, but dang, I really need to get to work on reducing this stash. It’s damn near unmanageable. Especially considering this year I used only 7,122 yards in completed projects.
So, without making any resolutions, because those are doomed to fail, I’m going to set a 2020 goal of using two skeins of yarn for every skein I might buy in the coming year. So far I have used four skeins (I’m making a cardigan for my sister), so that means I can buy up to two new skeins. A secondary goal is that any skein I buy will be something really special — like cashmere or silk or some other luxury fiber. The cost of such yarn will be a secondary deterrent to willy-nilly fiber acquisition. We’ll see how it goes. Wish me luck!