Yarn: Naturally Caron Spa, colorway 0008 Misty Taupe, approximately 836 yards
Needles: Addi Turbo circs, US 5 for the body; Hiya Hiya steel circs, US 3 for the ribbing of the neck and button band; Karbonz DPNs, US 3 for the ribbing on the sleeves
Satisfaction with end product: I love this. It’s light and drapy. It fits and feels great. Click here for my Ravelry project page.
The pattern calls for US 2 (for ribbing) and US 3 (for body) needles, but I couldn’t get gauge with the US 3, so I went up to a US 5 for the body and saved the US 3 for the ribbing.
The raglan shaping gave me fits. I had to rip out the shaping on the back three times before finally figuring out the pattern instructions. The pattern reads like there’s an extra decrease on each knit side. Nor does it make clear not to decrease on the purl side as previously established for several of the sizes. Reading through the pattern, this language is repeated for all raglan shaping. To be clear, the raglan shaping is as follows: Dec 1 at each end of each right (knit) side row as established (that is, k6, ssk, k to last 8, k2tog, k6; follow instructions for eyelet row as established); do not dec on back (purl) side.
And it wasn’t just the shaping on the back. The sleeve gave me fits too. After tearing my hair out and then letting sleeve #1 sit overnight, I re-read the shaping instructions for the top bit. I guess the designer condensed the instructions for publication due to Rowan space restrictions. I wrote it out line by line for clarity.
This isn’t the first Rowan pattern I’ve made, but it’s the first pattern that wasn’t an accessory, like a hat or a scarf. The, um, brevity of the instructions gives me some pause about tackling other cardigans and pullovers. I mean, I muddled through, and the sweater turned out fine, but it was a headache for a while. I don’t knit to give myself headaches. Knitting is my soothing activity.
Regardless, the knitting was finished sometime in May, and then the sweater sat in pieces for months. Well, it did get some use as a prop in Evelyn In Purgatory, but mostly it sat. Finally, in early September, I finished the seaming, added the front and neck bands, sewed on the button and called it good. I opted out of the embroidery after realizing how easily this yarn snags. I’ve already worn it a couple of times. It’s suitable for casual weekend wear and for the office. So, I love it, despite the PITA it was to make.